Saturday, February 25, 2012

Changing is hard

My family is not a big one. I was living in Wuhan, China for about 16 years. I never had the chance to move or get away from my family since I decided to come here to Utah. 
Not after I moved here did I realize that how life can be extremely different. I am the only daughter in my family, which is rare in Utah. Most people here think we Chinese are always the spoiled ones. It is obvious that the only child in the family have all the privileges to get all the things he or she wants. I have to confess that we really do, we don't need to get a job, we don't need to take care of the younger one. I never think it is good for a child to be like this but we don't even have a choice. Chinese society is still in a severe situation. Based on my observation here, I found It better for a child to have siblings or they will be too lonely to face the outside world. Having siblings give them responsibility and care.


Now I don't know what to say about it. My father always think that I am escaping, from the real world. He always wants the best for me but he thinks happiness is the main element of life. He is a businessman and he sells books as he reads. He is a reader, in some ways. He influenced me a lot. He likes to buy me a lot of books. I tried to read all of them but I can't. He once told me that, if you don't live happily, come back. Every time I recall the expression in his eyes when he said this I will cry and last forever. I wanted to tell him that I am really really happy here. I love the city. I love everyone who really cares about me. I love the society where everyone is being polite. I love when I feel comfortable giving tips to my friends after they served me. I love the churches and everyone seems to have his own religion. I love the place where my dream comes true. But , however, a place like this can never be a home. It makes life so easy, without challenging. I have to go back, Like the chum salmon. Hometown is a place that you can never abandon.








Here is my amazing dad.







Some random things:

Here is an awesome TED video I just watched:


1. The art of choosing

the woman is talking about choice and names:





2 comments:

  1. What a reflective and honest message. I am not sure life has to be hard and challenging all the time. I think life if to be enjoyed not just endured. There is something special about "home," but I have lived in many places and home is always where my heart is not just about a location. I thought it was interesting your comments about siblings. I have often wondered what Chinese students think of the larger families in Utah and the US. Keep writing and thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why, but now that I'm reading the others's posts about their life is just that I can see how much things do we have in common. I'm inthe same situation, I had live in the same city and in the same house my whole life and I know how does it feel to be the only son in the family 'cause I was it for nine years until my brother was born. That became me in some ways responsible of my brother.

    Now, that I'm here in Utah, living without my family for almost a year, I feel like I have to do other things that I think I would never was going to do if I haven't come here and of course now I know that you really have to make an effort to change and become the person you want to be.

    You cannot say that you know the world, 'til you have pass through any hard or easy experience in life.

    Keep it up, I like it!

    ReplyDelete